Monday, November 16, 2009

M.A.C Fluidline vs Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On pencil

I recently went on a shopping spree at M.A.C. (so what's new?) and I couldn't resist the special edition holiday goodies that they have! I got 2 eyeshadow palettes and the eye set which comes with - a Naughty Noir bag - MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack - eyeliner brush - Zoomlash mascara - MAC eye pigment in Shimmertime.


2 eyeshadow palettes from the holiday edition

Eye set from M.A.C.'s holiday edition (missing from photo is the gel liner brush applicator)

I am such a sucker for cosmetics! I really need to control myself. Ah well...since i spent a whole lot of money on cosmetics, I might as well put my stuff into good use and share with all what I think of some of the products that I have. PLEASE bear in mind that this is my opinion on the product. I am not a makeup guru or whatnot. This is just to share my experiences on some of the products that I got. They may be true for me but may not entirely applicable to you.

So here goes...
Here's my take on eyeliner pencil vs a gel eye liner.
I've always had issues with applying eyeliner onto my upper lids and could never perfect the art of winging the edges out to produce a cat-eye effect. Despite what all the makeup gurus on youtube say, I.just.can't.do.it. Not even with the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on pencil which I raved about in my earlier post or with my Sephora liquid eye liner.

Urban Decay Glide-on 24/7 Eye Pencil

Pros
Yes yes I know I said that the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on pencil was all fab and all. It is great to use - especially when it is brand new. When it's brand new, the 24/7 glideon pencil works like a dreaaaam because of it's sharp/pointed tip. It is indeed very creamy and very easy to apply on the eye lids.

Cons
Because of the creaminess of the pencil tip, the pencil tip is soft and very difficult to sharpen. It gets blunt easily and takes me like 2-3 times to sharpen the pencil before it's considered satisfactory - to me. I got to then clean the tip with a tissue and squeeze the tip to sharpen it further and ensure that there are no access at the tip of the pencil. After that, the pencil just don't work well for me.
To top that, I found that after 7-8 hours, the eye liner from my bottom lashes actually smudged downward even when I used the Urban Decay Primer Potion as a base.

Would I buy this again? Probably no but unfortunately, my online order for Urban Decay 24/7 Super Stash is already on its way to my doorstep. So what I'll probably do with them is instead of using then as an eyeliner, I will use them as an eye lid base - a base to make the eyeshadow colors POP - similar to what this makeup guru did in this video at 0:45.



M.A.C. Fluidline gel-liner in Blacktrack
THIS is my current favourite eye liner. It is a gel-liner and you gotta use a really small pointed eyeliner brush to apply the gel liner.
Pros
I feel that there is better control using the eyeliner brush to apply the gel-liner onto the top and bottom lashes. It is super easy to wing out the edges to create a cat-eye effect.
I don't have to set the gel-liner with a black eye shadow on top of it to increase its staying power as opposed to using a eyeliner pencil - so this saves me a minute or two when doing my make up *wink* I definite prefer this product to Sephora liquid eyeliner...perhaps i haven't mastered the art of using a liquid eyeliner applicator to apply my eye liner? Perhaps perhaps. But as of now, my go-to for eye liner is the M.A.C. Fluidline gel liner.
Cons
I've only got good things to say about MAC's Fluidline in Blacktrack.
Would I buy this product again? You bet I would!

1 comment:

  1. Haha...you're definitely a sucker for cosmetics! I love the MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack too.

    ReplyDelete